Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Burn Baby, Burn...

I had almost forgotten about it...until this past week. Ever since the dawn of time, man has studied it...and marveled at it...and many times feared it. It was in the heart of the Arizona desert when I first starred in the face of this beast. I had never encountered anything like it before. At first glance it's very deceiving...slowly hypnotizing you as it makes it's way ever so closer. The higher it climbs, the more fire it spews...until...before you realize...the trance is over...and all is consumed...including you.

My Dad spent the last 12 years of his life in Phoenix...'the valley of the sun'...and he worked every day out in the desert heat. As I recall the many conversations we had during that time, he would always make comments on the sun...how it was different 'out there'...and how it seemed to burn everything in it's path. The Southwest has always been known for it's dry heat, but unless you face it yourself, one really doesn't know. I will never forget my first 'true' encounter with this beast, we call the sun. Riding with my Dad, we were always out on the road before sunrise. I could still feel the cool of the night as we began. Then up from the desert floor it appeared. Absolutely gorgeous...totally captivating...yet all the while growing stronger. I was awestruck by it's beauty...yet consumed by it's fire.

Coffee does the same thing...consumes me...captivates me. Sounds weird...sure...but there are many of you, who, if you would just admit it, are also consumed by the rich aroma that abounds when you walk into a room where a fresh pot of coffee is brewing. Countless comments are made @ Dad's Place about 'how good it always smells.' Nothing...absolutely nothing matches the sensations that start to twitch when your nose first detects the possibility of fresh coffee slowly making it's way into a cup that's destined for you. Anticipation...consumed...weird.

I leave you with Third Day's lyrics about The Ultimate Consuming Fire...

"and yes our God, He is a consuming fire
And the flames burn down deep in my soul
Yes our God He is a consuming fire
He reaches inside and He melts down this
cold heart of stone."
"Father, thank you for the beauty of your creation...and how the sun must have looked when you first created it. Thank you for using it as a constant reminder that YOU are the fire that burns within. Today, Lord...captivate me...consume me...amen"
Ahhhh...there's that smell again...another fresh pot is almost ready...

No comments: