Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Looking At The Future Through My Rear View Mirror...Part 2

Marty McFly is my hero. In 1985, we were introduced to Marty and a whole array of characters living in a world that was encased...trapped in tradition. Marty and his eccentric friend, Doc Brown, brought to us a vision that life can be changed in the most complex, yet innocent way.

In the movie, 'Back To The Future', Marty experienced a new way of travel...a new way of thinking...a new way of life. From the safe streets of Hill Valley, he made his way by means of a skate board...always wanting more...trying to borrow the family car...reaching out, but not knowing how. Little did he know that just a few blocks away, Doc Brown was busy working...researching...testing something so new, so revolutionary that to anyone else, appeared strange...foreign...modern. Soon, by accident...call it necessity, Marty would be trading in his skate board for a nuclear DeLorean.

Were there bumps and bruises along the way? Sure. Were risks involved? Absolutely! Was it worth it? Oh yeah!

A church sign I noticed this past week had this message: "If God is your co-pilot, change seats". Two years ago, I had to do that exact thing. For many years, I had enjoyed life in full time vocational ministry. I had always been sensitive to the leadership of the Holy Spirit and had followed Him to many places to fill many positions. But in all honesty, something seemed out of place. It sometimes made me question whether or not I was supposed to be at that specific church...whether or not I was in the right position...and sometimes even made me doubt my call into the ministry. But each time, something would happen that would confirm to us that we were doing the right thing at the right place at the right time. But there was still that little...you know....

There I was, sitting behind the wheel...ready to make a move...follow Him down any path...and yet, the engine was blown. Not even a spit or sputter as I did every thing I knew to get that 'old' machine to run. I was out of ideas...nothing made sense. My life was in utter darkness. The only light I could see was the dimming glow of my life's dashboard informing me that something was critically wrong.

"OK...I give up...I can't do this anymore...I have nothing left...I'll work at anything, do whatever, just please take care of my family!" was my constant prayer. "Whatever, please just show me!" And He did. Did He ever!

In the distance, a tiny pair of headlights appeared. The closer they approached, the brighter they became...it was almost as if the headlights were reflecting the sun's rays. As the vehicle grew closer and closer, it became more difficult to see. Through the tears and the headlights I could make out the image of something I couldn't believe. The car had now stopped beside me, and I was face-to-face with the driver. The car He was driving was indescribable. Concept cars of the future were nothing more than mere Hot Wheel cars compared to this magnificent machine. The engine was so powerful it was making the ground quiver underneath me.

"Is that for me?" I asked.

"Sure is," He replied. "Are you ready?"

"I am so ready" I cried, "You have no idea!"

He did.

As I got out of my broken means of transportation, I headed for the driver's door. A sense of relaxation...peace, had overcome me. It was at that exact moment that I heard Him say something that would change my life...my entire perspective...forever. As I reached for the door handle, He said something to me that sent chills down my spine. "Stop", He said. "It's time to change drivers." "From now on, I've got the wheel."

As I crawled into the passenger's seat, scared out of my mind, He said "Son it's OK...don't worry...I'm right here with you." At that moment, the words of Isaiah 42:16 were forever branded in my heart and in my mind...

"I will bring the blind by a way they did not know; I will lead them in paths they have not known. I will make darkness light before them, And crooked places straight. These things I will do for them, And not forsake them."

As He reached for the gear shift, He slowly turned toward me. "You might want to buckle up" He said. "I sometimes have a heavy foot." As I was locking my seatbelt into place, I noticed the sun was beginning to wake...darkness was quickly fading. We slowly began to move forward, picking up speed with each passing moment until we were cruising at some Mach speed. With my head pinned against the headrest, He was still reassuring me that all is OK, if I will just listen...and follow...and let Him drive.

It didn't take long, however, for us to run into several miles of reality construction. I was really confused..."Why are we going through this, if HE is driving? I thought I had left all of this behind!" "Just because I'm driving doesn't mean there won't be rough roads ahead" He said. "It just means that I know how to make them smoother."

Reminded me again of Marty McFly...even though things are going smooth, there's always a Biff Tannen somewhere around...


...to be continued

3 comments:

TJ said...

beautiful. now part 3 please!

Mark W. said...

Helllllooooo McFlyyyyy!!! Finish the story already! :)

Sugar-n-Spice said...

i didn't know i had the pleasure of your occasional lurkings! :) its nice to realize someone unexpected is reading a post. . .i often lurk your way, too. . .you're a great writer! i enjoy reading! thanks for your comment, when ya coming to spar me?