Monday, April 02, 2007

Less Is More...Part #1...

He was the youngest of eight brothers…he was the runt. But don’t be deceived by his stature…

I can’t imagine having siblings. I’m an ‘only child’ and proud of it. My Dad was the oldest of two, my Mom was the youngest of ‘a bunch’. I honestly can’t remember how many brothers and sisters she had, I can only remember that when her family got together, I had cousins, second cousins, third cousins, fourth cousins, (and well, you get the picture), AND their families would literally come ‘out of the wood-work!’ It seemed like an anthill going full tilt. It was those occasions that reinforced my belief that ‘less is more’.

I remember many times as a young boy that I would go to school with new clothes and the hoard of cousins that I went to school with, would always want to show me their ‘new clothes’…new to them…hand-me-downs from older siblings. Where I had my own bedroom, most of my relatives had to share bedroom space with at least two others. And sitting down at a meal with this multitude, words can’t describe the carnage.

I can picture this same scenario playing out at Jesse’s house. ‘Amen’ from table grace was the green light for scores of siblings to wreck and ravage the evening meal. And while all this pillage was taking place, young David methodically calculated every move to insure survival. Not-so-much the fact of getting a meal, but from ‘becoming’ the meal. David learned survival at a young age…

Being the youngest, David also received more than his fair share of family chores. Just as in today’s families, the smelliest of jobs seem to flow downhill. How critical it was, yet David didn’t seem to mind. He found himself being the shepherd for his father’s sheep, the loneliest job of the family. Surrounded by only the bleating cry of sheep, a boy became a man…how fitting for the boy who would be king!

…to be continued.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What? Where's #2? You're going to make us lurkers revolt! Great entry.

I love the concept of becoming. So many of us aren't patient with others or even ourselves. We need to remind ourselves of the process.

Philippians 1.6